Land of the Pharaohs

I'll be here until December 25.

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Only in Egypt...

Today when I bought a 1.25 L.E. cup of coffee, I gave the cashier 1.50 L.E.
The cashier looked worried for a second as she glanced into the cash register, but then brightend up and handed me a stick of gum instead of my 25 piastres in change.

Change is rare in this country. Whenever I don't pay in exact change, the cashier gives me an angry look and says "no change?". I then have to wince and shake my head and look concerned about the transaction. They usually look around in their drawer for a few moments before reluctantly handing me a dull wad of crumpled bills (usually with about 25-50 piastres missing from the pile depending on how much change they had to dig up for me).

To add to the problem, most ATMs only give out 100 pound notes and most things I want are between 1 and 5 pounds.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:41 PM, Blogger Zee Puppette said…

    lol =)
    Believe me, there's a lot more to see of THAT! You're lucky all they gave were looks man! You see, Egyptians are pissed off people. you don't want to play around with that. lol. Good luck out there =D

     

Post a Comment

<< Home