Land of the Pharaohs

I'll be here until December 25.

Friday, September 22, 2006

cairo rain.

puddle in the sreet,

but there is no rain in Cairo,

sometimes there is soap.

The problem with walking around cairo is that few buildings have central air. This is a problem because all of the airconditioners attached to windows drip water into the street. Atleast everytime I get dripped on, I desperately hope that it is water from airconditioning units.

Also, (this is commenting on the second picture- the one with the soap) since there is no rain, everything gets really dirty. To alleviate this, the streets/sidewalks/whatever sometimes get scrubbed down with a bunch of soapy water. The problem is that since there is no rain in Cairo, there are also no storm drains. Water used for this purpose just sits there and evaporates. Also, sometimes water leaks up from sewage pipes and that is really not fun to be around when that happens.

So that is my relationship with water in Cairo, Egypt.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:04 AM, Blogger Anna Shambleceno said…

    I'll save some rain from Bloomington and send it to you.

    I thoroughly enjoy reading your blog.

    I...

    I love you.

     
  • At 2:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I need to find that place where you got your harry potter arabic book. my cousin wants one, just because.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home